14 Jan 2020

REVISION OF THE VERB "MIND"



The verb MIND is followed by :

* a noun :       ex : I don't mind chocolate from time to time.


* -ing form :    ex : Would you mind my (me) singing ?


* a clause :     ex : I don't mind if you don't talk to me ! = it doesn't matter ...


2) mind is most often used in the interrogative and negative forms :

ex : She doesn't mind staying up late.

ex : Do you mind my smoking ? ( me smoking = less formal ) = smoking and ready to put out his cigarette = Do you dislike the fact I'm smoking ?

ex: Do you mind if I smoke ? The person will light a cigarette if permission is given.


3) mind is also used in the imperative + a clause (often a negative one) : = Be careful ! (This expression is used in the UK.)

ex : Mind you don't fall ! ; Mind you don't bang your head ! Mind the step !

ex : Mind your own business !


4)  mind is also used to express polite requests :

ex : Would you mind switching on the light for me, please?


5) An expression : Mind you ... is used to add something to what you have just said, especially to make it less strong. = It's mostly spoken English and quite informal.

ex : The meal was expensive ... Mind you, it was delicious !



 Don't confuse:  'I dont mind ...' and 'I don't care...' (= I'm not interested !)


No comments:

Post a Comment