30 Nov 2017

THE VERB "GET" AND ITS DIFFERENT MEANINGS/COMBINATIONS

Get is an irregular verb. Its three parts are get, got, got.

Get meaning ‘fetch’, ‘receive’, ‘obtain’ (see examples below). We commonly use get + object or get + indirect object + direct object when we mean, very generally, ‘fetch’ or ‘receive’ or ‘obtain’. 


- to obtain, buy, or earn something:

He went to the shop to get some milk.
I think she gets about £40,000 a year.
We stopped on the way to get some breakfast.
I managed to get all three suitcases for under $200.
How much did he get for his car? (= How much money did he sell it for?)
Where did you get your shoes from?


- to receive or be given something:

I got quite a surprise when I saw her with short hair.
When did you get the news about Sam?
I got a phone call from Phil last night.
What grade did he get for the exam?
I got the impression that they'd rather be alone.
What did you get for your birthday?
We don't get much snow (= it does not often snow) here.
I managed to get a glimpse of him (= see him for a moment) through the crowds.
If you get a moment (= have time available), could you help me fill in that form?
She gets such pleasure from her garden.
If you can get some time off work, we could finish the decorating.
I can never get her to myself (= be alone with her) because she's always surrounded by people.


- to go somewhere and bring back someone or something:

Let me go get my glasses.
Can I get you a drink?


- to take someone or something into your possession by force:

Have the police got the man who did it yet?
Your cat got a bird this morning!


- to reach or arrive at a particular place:

We hadn't even got as far as London when the car broke down.
What time does he normally get home (from work)?
If you get to the restaurant before us, just wait at the bar.


- to reach a particular stage, condition, or time:

You earn loads of money if you get to the top in that profession.
It got to Thursday and she still hadn't heard any news.
informal I'm getting to the stage now where I just want to give up.
get far/somewhere/anywhere


- to make progress or to improve:

She's taking flute lessons, but she really doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with it.
It's been hard settling in, but I feel like I'm getting somewhere at last.


- to become ill with a disease, virus, etc.:

I got food poisoning at that cheap little seafood restaurant.
Kids get all kinds of bugs at school.


- to become or start to be:

 We commonly use get + adjective to mean ‘become’ or to describe a change of state or situation.

He gets really upset if you mention his baldness.
Is your cold getting any better?
Your coffee's getting cold.
After a while you get used to all the noise.
You're getting to be such a big boy, aren't you!
How did you get to be a belly dancer?


- to start to go or move:

We'd better get moving or we'll be late.


- to cause something to happen, or cause someone or something to do something:

When we use get + object (o) + -ed form, we say that we cause something to happen or to be done. It is a less formal way of saying have something done.


She had to get the kids ready for school.
 I'm trying to get this article finished by Thursday.
We get our groceries delivered.
 Were you able to get the copy machine working?
 I can't get my computer to work!


- to persuade someone to do something:

Why don't you get Nicole to come to the party?


- to do something to something or someone without intending to or by accident:

He got his bag caught in the train doors as they were closing.
I always get the two youngest sisters' names confused.


- sometimes used instead of "be" to form the passive:

We form the standard passive with be + -ed form. We form the get passive with get + -ed form.

I got shouted at by some idiot for walking past his house.
They're getting married later this year.
This window got broken.


- to move to a different place or into a differentposition:

I hit my head as I was getting into the car.
Get out of here now or I'll call the police.
The bed is too wide - we'll never get it through the door.
Getting up the ladder was easy enough - it was coming down that was the problem.
He got down on his knees and asked me to marry him!


- to travel somewhere in a train, bus, or other vehicle:

Shall we get a taxi to the station?


- to deal with or answer a ringing phone, knock on the door, etc.:

Hey, Ty, someone's at the door - would you get it, please?


- to have the chance to do something:

I never get to see her now that she works somewhere else.


- to understand or hear something:

I didn't get what he said because the music was so loud.
I told that joke to Sophia, but she didn't get it.


- to prepare a meal:

I'll put the kids to bed while you're getting dinner ready.


- to pay for something:

Put your money away - I'll get these drinks.


- (informal) to confuse someone and make them completely unableto understand or explain:

Give him a technical question - that'll really get him!
you've got me there! informal


- something that you say when you do not know the answer to aquestion:

"How many ounces in a kilo?" "You've got me there."


- (informal) to annoy someone:

It really gets to me the way we're expected to actually laugh at his pathetic jokes!


- (informal) to make someone feel strongly emotional and often cry:
That part in the film when he finds out that his daughter is alive - that always gets me!


 - to hit someone, especially with a bullet or something thrown:
The bullet got her in the leg.


- Get describing negative events. We can use get + -ed form to describe things that happen to us, often things which are unfortunate and which we don’t want to happen. We call this pattern the get passive.

- Get or go? Get and go have similar meanings, when talking about travel or motion. When we use get, we emphasise arrival.


IDIOMS WITH GET

get away with murder
get him, her, you, etc.!
get it on
get it together
I/I've got this
you/you've got this

PHRASAL VERBS WITH GET

get sth across
get ahead
get along
get around
get around (somewhere)
get around sth
get around to sth
get at sb
get at sth
get away
get away with sth
get back
get sb back
get sth back
get back to sb
get back to sth
get behind
get by
get sb down
get sth down
get sth down (sb)
get down to sth
get in
get in/get into sth
get sth in
get sb in
get in on sth
get into sb
get into sth
get (sb) into sth
get off
get off (sth)
get sth off
get (sb) off
get (sb) off (sth)
get sth off (sth)
get off on sth
get off with sb
get on
get on (sth)
get on to/onto sth
get on with sth
get out
get (sb/sth) out
get out of sth
get sth out of sth
get sth out of sb
get over sth/sb
get sth over with
get round (somewhere)
get round sb
get round sth
get round to sth
get through
get through sth
get (sb) through sth
get (sth) through (to sb)
get to
get to sb
get together
get up
get (sb) up
get sth up
get yourself/sb up
get up to sth



No comments:

Post a Comment