6 Mar 2020

VERB PATTERNS WITH REPORTING VERBS



These are the most common reporting verbs:

SAY

The basic verb pattern for using 'say' for reported speech is:

say + (that) + clause
She said (that) she had already eaten.


TELL

with 'tell' we need to use an object, a person who we tell the information to.

tell + someone + (that) + clause
I told John (that) I had seen the new film.

When we are reporting orders, we can also use another pattern with 'tell':

tell + someone + to + infinitive
She told the children to go to bed.

ASK

We use 'ask' to report questions or requests. For questions we use the pattern:

ask + someone + if / question word + clause
I asked my boss if I could leave early.
She asked them where the station was.

For requests we use the pattern:

ask + someone + to + infinitive
I asked Lucy to pass me the salt.

Other reporting verbs follow a variety of patterns.

ADVISE

(= Give someone advice. Notice the different spelling for the verb and the noun.)

Advise + someone + to + infinitive
She advised him to see a doctor.

Advise + (that) + clause
The staff advise that you carry water at all times.

Advise + against + verb-ing
I'd advise against leaving early.

AGREE

Agree + to + infinitive
We agreed to meet the following day.

Agree + (that) + clause
I agreed that the children could do their homework later.

APOLOGISE

Apologise + (to + someone) + for + verb-ing
They apologised to us for being late.
She apologised for forgetting the book.

Apologise (+ to + someone) + for + noun
She apologised for the delay.

DECIDE

Decide + to + infinitive
They decided to go to the cinema.

Decide + (that) + clause
They decided that they would go to the cinema.

ENCOURAGE

Encourage + someone + to + infinitive
She encouraged him to take the exam again.
The teacher encouraged the students to ask questions.

EXPLAIN

Explain + (that) + clause
The teacher explained that the course was finished.

Explain + noun + to + someone
She explained the grammar to the students. (NOT: She explained me the grammar)

Explain + question word + to + infinitive
They explained how to buy a train ticket on the internet.
John explained where to find the restaurant.

Explain + question word + clause
We explained what the exams would cover.

INSIST

Insist + on + verb-ing
He insisted on paying.

Insist + (that) + clause
He insisted that we sit down.

PROMISE

Promise + to + infinitive
He promised to arrive early.

Promise + (someone) + (that) + clause
I promised him that I wouldn't do it again.

RECOMMEND

Recommend + verb-ing
I recommend visiting the British Museum while you're in London.

Recommend + (that) + clause
I recommend that you visit the British Museum

REMIND

Remind + someone + to + infinitive
She reminded him to take his keys.

Remind + someone + (that) + clause
They reminded me that there is a party tonight.

SUGGEST
Suggest + verb-ing
I suggest leaving soon

Suggest + (that) + clause
I suggest that you come as soon as you can. (NOT: I suggest him to come)

WARN

Warn + someone + (not) + to + infinitive
I warned them not to go in the water.

Warn + someone + about + something
She warned us about the dangerous roads.


Negatives
To make the verbs that we have reported negative, we need to look at the verb pattern:

When there's a clause, we make the negative in the usual way: She said that she didn't like ice cream.
When there's 'to + infinitive', we generally put 'not' before 'to': He promised not to do it again.
When there's 'verb-ing', we generally put 'not' in front of it: I advise not taking the bus.

EXERCISE 1

EXERCISE 2

EXERCISE 3

EXERCISE 4

EXERCISE 5

No comments:

Post a Comment