30 Oct 2017

UNIT 2 VOCABULARY REVIEW-EXTENSION


EXHAUSTED  adjective  /ɪɡˈzɔːstɪd/
very tired

I'm exhausted! 
to feel completely/utterly exhausted
The exhausted climbers were rescued by helicopter.

PLEASED adjective  /pliːzd/
feeling happy about something

1 pleased (with somebody/something) 
She was very pleased with her exam results.
The boss should be pleased with you.pleased (that…)
 I'm really pleased that you're feeling better.
pleased (to hear, know, etc. something) I'm pleased to hear about your news.
You're coming? I'm so pleased.
He did not look too pleased when I told him.

2 pleased to do something happy or willing to do something
We are always pleased to be able to help.
I was pleased to hear you've been promoted.
Aren't you pleased to see me?(especially British English)
 Pleased to meet you (= said when you are introduced to somebody).
Thank you for your invitation, which I am very pleased to accept.
I am pleased to inform you that the book you ordered has arrived.

FURIOUS  adjective  /ˈfjʊəriəs/
very angry

furious (at something/somebody) She was absolutely furious at having been deceived.
furious (with somebody/yourself) He was furious with himself for letting things get so out of control.
furious (that…) I'm furious that I wasn't told about it.

STRESSED adjective  /strest/
too anxious and tired to be able to relax

He was feeling very stressed and tired.

FED UP   adjective   /ˌfed ˈʌp/
bored or unhappy, especially with a situation that has continued for too long

You look fed up. What's the matter?
fed up with somebody/something People are fed up with all these traffic jams.
In the end, I just got fed up with his constant complaining.
I wish he'd get a job. 
I'm fed up with it (= with the situation).
fed up with doing something I'm fed up with waiting for her.
I’m fed up to the back teeth(= very fed up) with hearing about your problems.


GUILTY  adjective  /ˈɡɪlti/

1 guilty (about something) 
feeling ashamed because you have done something that you know is wrong or have not done something that you should have done
I felt guilty about not visiting my parents more often.
John had a guilty look on his face.
I had a guilty conscience and could not sleep.

2 guilty (of something) 
having done something illegal; being responsible for something bad that has happened
The jury found the defendant not guilty of the offence.
He pleaded guilty to murder.
We've all been guilty of selfishness at some time in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment